Date: 14 March 2020
Category: Game Dev / Runes
The main noticeable change this week is the introduction of animation for both the creatures and the background. Previously the creatures would instantly move to the selected location but now they follow the path changing direction and displaying an animated walk cycle. A test area of water has been added to the centre of the battlefield as a testing ground for both an animated background and to act as a blocked area for pathfinding.
Another visual change is the selected creature details box has been styled (slightly) and also works as a quick link to centre the camera on the selected creature.
Behind the scenes a major change has been made to the creature movement and action point system. Previously creatures had one movement point per round and the action point accumulated, now it's completely custom for each creature and non creature cards now have mana and/or stamina requirements. Creature movement is his based off stamina but based off movement stamina, meaning big slow creatures with high movement stamina won't be able to move far but can do some devastating high damage stamina based attacks.
Date: 7 March 2020
Category: Game Dev / Runes
Learning libGdx is something I've been meaning to do for some time now and I've finally gotten round to doing it. I decided to convert an existing project instead of creating something from scratch and spent the last week or two working on it. The previous game was purely for Android but using Gdx allows the project to also be built for desktop and iOS.
The initial idea for the game was to create something which was essentially a TCG with an additional layer of strategy by having a playfield to move characters around. Each character would have their own deck and characters of different types would have decks containing different cards.
The first version was created as just portrait for mobile but being the main structure was being remade I made the decision to cater for both portrait and landscape, especially with the option for building for desktop. Originally the battlefield was going to just be a five by eight grid with just the card icons as movable tokens but while working on the Gdx implementation I thought it would be better to use separate battlefield sprites and create an actual level with obstacles to maneuver around. In its current state the creatures gain one action point per turn and can move one space each turn but they cast as many spells they have action points for. After thinking about how this plays out I think it's going to change in a future update
Another visible change is that I've decided to give a 'demake' effect to the card images by changing the graphics to a 16bit type appearance. They all still need to be tweaked and I need create a proper palette for them.
Currently there's only a few different cards which were used for testing. This mainly consisted of spawning creatures and affecting them with effects. Once everything is working correctly with Gdx and I make a few changes to some of the game mechanics, I can continue to add new cards.