Runes v0.0.1

Learning libGdx is something I’ve been meaning to do for some time now and I’ve finally gotten round to doing it. I decided to convert an existing project instead of creating something from scratch and spent the last week or two working on it. The previous game was purely for Android but using Gdx allows the project to also be built for desktop and iOS.

The initial idea for the game was to create something which was essentially a TCG with an additional layer of strategy by having a playfield to move characters around. Each character would have their own deck and characters of different types would have decks containing different cards.

The first version was created as just portrait for mobile but being the main structure was being remade I made the decision to cater for both portrait and landscape, especially with the option for building for desktop. Originally the battlefield was going to just be a five by eight grid with just the card icons as movable tokens but while working on the Gdx implementation I thought it would be better to use separate battlefield sprites and create an actual level with obstacles to maneuver around. In its current state the creatures gain one action point per turn and can move one space each turn but they cast as many spells they have action points for. After thinking about how this plays out I think it’s going to change in a future update

Another visible change is that I’ve decided to give a ‘demake’ effect to the card images by changing the graphics to a 16bit type appearance. They all still need to be tweaked and I need create a proper palette for them.

Currently there’s only a few different cards which were used for testing. This mainly consisted of spawning creatures and affecting them with effects. Once everything is working correctly with Gdx and I make a few changes to some of the game mechanics, I can continue to add new cards.